Fruit is called dry when it does not contain juice. It is a fruit with a very hard skin, which has a percentage of water of less than fifty percent. But why is it recommended to consume dried fruit?
The energy content of dried fruit is very high. It is also characterized by its high intake of proteins and fats, and in many cases also for the B vitamins. Moreover, it is among the few foods to contain phosphorus.
Let’s see in more detail why consuming dried fruit is good for you.
The benefits of dried fruit
- Dried fruit prevents diseases with cancer, and this thanks to its content of vitamins B and E, copper, iron, phosphorus, potassium and selenium.
- Its high fiber content prevents constipation, thereby preventing the appearance of intestinal diseases.
- Its calorie intake is high : around 500 calories per 100 grams.
- These foods contain folic acid and an amino acid (lysine) which helps prevent vascular problems.
- It strengthens bones, promotes growth and prevents osteoporosis, thanks to its high calcium content. This makes it the ideal dairy substitute, making it perfect for lactose intolerant people.
- The supply of oleic and linoleic acid helps improve blood circulation, preserve heart health and normalize cholesterol levels.
- Nuts are ideal for menopausal women, as they are a source of phytoestrogens and this makes them useful for relieving the effects of the less pause and its characteristic hot flashes.
- For people with anemia, consuming dried fruit is a way to get iron, which is particularly recommended in this case.
- They are recommended to increase fertility in men and because they promote the movement of spermatozoa, as they contain high levels of zinc and selenium.
- With the consumption of hazelnuts, it is possible that the risk of suffering from arteriosclerosis is reduced, thanks to the trace elements they contain.
- It is a type of food suitable for people suffering from arthritis due to a lack of omega 3.
- If you consume dried fruit for twenty or more consecutive days, you will reduce bad cholesterol levels.
- It helps the nervous system thanks to its soothing effects, excellent for ulcer sufferers.
What must be kept in mind to consume dried fruit?
All dried fruit must be stored properly, in a container and in a cool, dry place.
If you consume almonds and walnuts, make sure they are fully ripe, as otherwise you run the risk that they contain toxic substances.
It is not uncommon to develop an allergy to dried fruit, so you need to make sure you don’t experience any unwanted effects after consuming it.
Dried fruit is not recommended for those people who suffer from high blood pressure, obesity, who are on a diet and who are allergic to certain types of nuts.
If you choose to consume toasted dried fruit, know that after cooking the fruit loses its properties, so it is preferable to eat it raw, after leaving it to soak in water for ten minutes.
Also, it is recommended to avoid salty nuts such as peanuts, and this is because salt stimulates thirst and drinking excess water overloads the kidneys.
Consume nuts moderately
On the other hand, it has serious consequences for hypertensive people: it favors the hardening of fats that are deposited in the tissues and that begin to retain water; hence the appearance of cellulite.
It is recommended to consume it every other day, with six cooked chestnuts or with a handful of hazelnuts or five walnuts.
It is advisable to integrate dried fruit at breakfast, as a snack or during the main courses, but also to add it to the salad, accompanied by fresh cheeses, legumes and cereals.
Consuming dried fruit is particularly suitable for professional athletes, and for small children in constant movement ; moreover, it is recommended for those people who perform intense intellectual work, thanks to its organic phosphate content; this is because phosphorus is a particularly important element for brain metabolism.
As we have seen in this article, dried fruit contains numerous benefits, but we must also keep in mind when it is good to eat them and which methods of consumption to choose. So take advantage of these tips and consume these foods in moderation.