The Russian salad is one of the dishes that you can prepare at any time of the year and that you can customize with the ingredients you love the most and according to your needs. Here we offer you some simple and tasty recipes
Russian salad is a fresh and very popular dish that is eaten especially with the arrival of high temperatures. It is usually used in the preparation of delicious snacks, to garnish, to prepare canapés, as an appetizer or in main courses.
Even if the traditional basic ingredients are potatoes, carrots, peas and mayonnaise, there are many possible variations.
Among the most common ingredients to give the Russian salad an innovative touch, there are tuna, boiled egg, surimi, pickles such as olives and gherkins, etc.
The secret lies in cooking
To get a Russian salad with body and structure, it is important not to overcook the ingredients. Potatoes and carrots must be cooked to the right point, neither too hard because they would seem raw, nor too soft because they would break easily and would no longer be distinguishable as a whole.
The recommended cooking time is 20 minutes, but it also depends on the size of the potatoes and carrots. A very useful tip is to put the cooked ingredients under cold water and then drain them well. This process will help stop the cooking process.
Classic Russian salad
The classic Russian salad is the simplest, it is prepared only with vegetables, tuna, mayonnaise, olives and eggs. Following a recipe designed for about four people
- 3 medium potatoes (450 g)
- 4 carrots
- 150 g of drained canned tuna
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons of canned peas
- 20 olives
- 200 g of mayonnaise
- Wash the potatoes well and put them to cook over low heat without peeling them.
- Put the peeled carrots in the cooking water of the potatoes and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until ready
- In another pan, boil the eggs for 10 minutes. Once cooked, put them in a container with cold water to stop cooking.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes along with the carrots. Do the same with the eggs. Then put all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Then add the peas, tuna and olives to the mix, adding a pinch of salt.
- Add the mayonnaise and mix so that the sauce envelops all the ingredients.
- Let it cool for two hours before serving.
Russian salad with chicken
A variation of this recipe is to replace the tuna with chicken or turkey. You can use a little ‘meat set aside in the preparation of a stew or to cook at the moment on the plate. The important thing is that the meat is cooked just before adding it to the salad.
- 250 g of chicken or turkey breast
- 1 kg of potatoes
- 4 eggs
- a large carrot
- 200 g of canned peas
- 600 g of mayonnaise
- Cook the chicken or turkey breast. Season with a drizzle of olive oil and enough salt. Set aside.
- Wash the potatoes and cook without peeling them for 30 minutes. Put the carrot, washed and peeled, in the same cooking water.
- In another pan, boil the eggs for 10 minutes. Once cooked, put them in a bowl with cold water.
- Peel and dice the potatoes. Then cut the carrot and eggs into small pieces of the same size as the potatoes.
- Put all the ingredients in the same bowl. Then add the cooked chicken and canned peas.
- Add the mayonnaise to the other ingredients and mix carefully until a homogeneous mix is obtained.
- Refrigerate and serve cold as a main course, as an appetizer or as an appetizer.
Russian salad with apples
In parts of Central and Latin America, Russian salad with chicken is very popular on Christmas Eve. The most delicious variant of this salad, according to the same Latin American tradition, involves apples.
- 2 green apples
- 4 medium potatoes
- a large carrot
- a cup of canned peas
- a spoonful of capers
- 4 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- Wash and cook the unpeeled potatoes. Put the peeled carrot in the same cooking water. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Dice the apples. Do the same procedure with the carrot and potatoes after peeling them. Since apples tend to oxidize very easily, it is essential to peel and cut them when using them.
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl. Then add the peas and capers and mix.
- Finally, add the mayonnaise so that it wraps everything and until it covers all the preparation.
- Add salt as required
- Let cool and serve the salad warm or cold.